Tuesday, October 12, 2010

May I Have the Envelope Please: Part II

Here is the exciting conclusion of the "Top Ten Things I Love about Living in Hawaii" list:

5) Mellow traffic.  Want to make a left hand turn in Hawaii (away from the craziness of Waikiki)?  Just put on your turn signal, and traffic will stop and let you out.  In fact, the other day I was trying to turn left out of our neighborhood and several cars passed without letting us out.  My seven year old, in her best exasperated voice, declared these drives to be "TOURISTS!"  And the only socially acceptable use of the car's horn in Hawaii is to get a friend's attention as you drive past so you can wave to him or her.  If the person in front of you at the red light doesn't go when the light turns green ... just wait.  You'll catch it next time.

4) Palm trees.  I love palm trees.  I don't know why ... but I do.

3) Fish ... it's what's for dinner.  The previous two states I lived in, Colorado and Utah, were not the best place to partake of seafood.  Oh sure, there was good trout in Colorado, but that was about the size of it.  No Mahi Mahi.  No Butterfish.  No Moonfish.  No Snapper.  No Moi!  How can you live with no Moi!!!???

2) My job.  Where better for a professor of international relations than the most international school in the US?

1) The beach.  I know, the beach was also number 10.  But the beach is really the Alpha and Omega of Hawaii. The air blowing in through my window right now smells of salt.  I spent the summer swimming, snorkeling, spearfishing, and lounging in the sand.  Now is surf season.  My kids boogie board and "wave jump" on a regular basis.  One day I spent about a half an hour floating on my back in the ocean on a calm day.  I came home, took a shower, and went to a routine doctor's appointment.  The doctor took my blood pressure, and when he looked at the results he gave me a high five.  Gotta love the beach.

Next time: top things I miss about the mainland.

No comments:

Post a Comment